- Pacifier helps soothes; baby can self-soothe. The parent will be less stressed when the baby/toddler is content.
- Distracts from pain and discomfort.
- Reduces sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
- It makes traveling more manageable, especially if traveling long distances in a car.
- Easier to wean from compared to thumb sucking.
- Sucking reflex is stimulated and is satisfied in newborns. Reflexes informs pediatricians if the baby’s brain and central nervous system are working.
- Helps with ear popping during flights.
- Pacifiers are disposables.
What are cons of using a pacifier?
- Dental issues
- Baby becomes dependent on the pacifier.
- Pacifiers will interfere with breastfeeding.
- Increase risk of middle ear infections.
Let me know if you have more pros and cons with pacifier usage. But, again, always follow your pediatrician’s recommendations.
Dr. Valencia Weaver APRN, FNP-C